Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
mike winslow
Contributing MemberPosts: 546Gear list
Like?
Re: A7S
In reply to abortabort, 6 months ago

abortabort wrote:

Hello everyone.

I am currently a working as a 2nd shooter (and sometimes as 1st) for Wedding/Corporate event gigs.

I currently am invested in Nikon gear (D800E, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, etc) but I also own a Sony A7r. I only use a Leica 50mm summicron on my A7r so I have no experience with how it autofocuses. When I am shooting I normally carry my A7r w/ Leica 50mm on one shoulder and my D800e on the other with a 70-200mm, this usually covers what I need unless I need a wide shot.

The funny thing is, I find myself shooting far, far more with my A7r than I do with my D800e, and it not the choice in lens. The A7r just feels far more comfortable and reliable (I have never been good at MF with a OVF but with a EVF it is a different story).

So here is my question:

I am contemplating selling ALL my nikon gear and in turn buying an A7, FE 24-70, FE 70-200. Is this a poor idea?

My one fear is when I do start to 1st shoot more than the AF will murder me, as I hear nothing but complaints about both the A7r's and the A7's autofocus. I get the feeling from the way people trash it than in a lower light scenario I will have next to useless AF.

What would you recommend and why?

Thank you for your time in reading this.

All the best,

LCpl. Herold

A D800 is rated to AF down to -2ev an A7S down to -4ev.

I have shot a number of weddings and I wouldn't have ever considered using my A7 as my main camera, as lovely as the output is, it just doesn't focus quickly enough in low light. Have I used it at weddings? Sure! but not my main camera.

Having used an A7S now I would have no hessitation in using an all A7x lineup.

I would use your A7R with manual lenses and decent light stuff and the A7S for when the lights are low (you'll quickly become accustomed to when the A7S will tap out), as well as when you need silence and also use A7R for wide angle work.

Put the 70-200mm G and grip on one of them and nobody will will ever know.you aren't using an SLR, nor will they care. It all comes down to your body of work and what you are able to achieve (no matter the gear). If you can achieve results with the A7 series cameras than go for it. But do yourself a favour and get the A7S as your other body - best of both worlds, A7R for resolution, A7S for difficult lighting.

dpr just put the comparison tool up for the a7s..  So, the straight comparison at iso 51k - sure - the a7s looks less noisy.

I downloaded both jpgs and resized - the a7r appeared better..  then i noted the 7r only goes to 25.6k..   so i changed the comparison to 25.6k.. and the resized a7r image still looked a tad better..  rechecked the metadata.. the a7r uses the 55 f1.8 (@ f5.6 1/5000), and the a7r image uses an f85 @ 5.6 1/8000..  It would have been easier if they used the same lens..

I've been kind of excited about the low light of the a7S ..  The comparitor images make me question if the ier really is that much of an advantage in stills..  Since you have used both - your opinion is valued.

-- hide signature --

Mike

mike winslow's gear list:mike winslow's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony a6000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
A7SNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow