Got a Nikon D5200 but itching to swap to a Pentax K-50 - thoughts?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OrdinarilyInordinate
Contributing MemberPosts: 535Gear list
Like?
Got a Nikon D5200 but itching to swap to a Pentax K-50 - thoughts?
4 months ago

I've been playing with a Nikon D5200 for two weeks now, having upgraded from a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 high zoom bridge camera, and there are some things that are undeniably a dramatic upgrade, while others just irritate me. For example that it takes some time to switch between certain settings, having to go into the main menu or double-tap a button to get to some selectable options and then navigate to them. It was my faster/more straightforward to swap between settings on my older Panasonic. Some issues with getting a camera to actually take a picture when I press the shutter button (when it gives messages about the image being too dark or autofocus still searchign). Etc.

Now, I normally keep my cameras for at least 2-3 years, so I really want to make sure I will like my current camera without constant regrets or small irritations.

Recently I started reading about Pentax K-50. Here's what's drawn me into looking at swapping my Nikon D5200 for one:

stabilization built into the body--seems great for simpler lens selection

larger optical viewfinder - excellent!

more physical dials - really appreciate that. I *think* it's got a fairly straightforward menu/navigation, right?

metal body and some cool color choices (would love the white/black version) - aesthetics, of course, though still, I do appreciate that aspect if it's an option

weather sealing is cool, though I'm generally very careful with my equipment anyway and don't shoot in extreme conditions.

Both cameras seem to cost approximately the same. I'm not phased by the difference in 16 megapixels or 24 megapixels or having an articulated screen, but I'm definitely curious about the overall performance. Do you think swapping to a K-50 will be a moot point? Would it be an actual downgrade in terms of image quality (regardless of total megapixel value)? Has anyone tried out both of these cameras? I can't find any reviews comparing them directly.

OrdinarilyInordinate's gear list:OrdinarilyInordinate's gear list
Samsung NX300M Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
Nikon D5200 Pentax K-50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow