Two new lenses, two decentered ones. Bravo Olympus.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MayaTlab0
Contributing MemberPosts: 958
Like?
Two new lenses, two decentered ones. Bravo Olympus.
2 months ago

I just bought two new toys : a 25mm f1.8 and a 12-40 f2.8. Both of them are decentered, the 25mm obviously at 25mm, the 12-40 at 30mm and above, and possibly (but to an extent that would barely pass my own tolerances) around 12mm (it's fine between 14 and 30). Here's a picture from one side of the 25mm, in both upside and reversed position. The 12-40 at 40mm behaves exactly similarly.

Note : the lenses were tried on two different E-M1s with non-continuous serial numbers (although both manufactured in november 2013), and with all possible options taken into account (tripod / no tripod, EFC / no EFC, delay / no delay / iphone triggered shutter, IS ON / OFF, etc.).

The QC in this industry is absolutely crap. So far the only lenses I've bought that were decent first try were the Canon 28mm IS USM, Canon 40mm f2.8, Canon 70-200 f4 IS USM, Zeiss 50mm makro planar. All the other ones, including for example the Fuii X100 ans X100s, or a Zeiss 28mm, or a few Nikons, had some sort of decentering, some tolerable, most intolerable. This one so far is among my personal top three worst decentering (and I have no doubt there is even worse out there).

Obviously this post is mostly useless, this is just me venting.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow