Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,027Gear list
Like?
Pairing FF and APS-C bodies
In reply to tsk1979, 4 months ago

tsk1979 wrote:

Ideally, I would like to go with A6000 + A7 + lenses combo

This is an excellent combo -- I was just shooting a NEX-7 + A7 in Turkey quite happily. Yup, I literally had BOTH cameras hanging around my neck much of the time while shooting, and switched between them as circumstances favored one or the other.

I have 130+ lenses, of which only a handful made the cut for the trip to Turkey:

• Believe it or not, an A-mount Sigma 28-200mm f/3.5-f/5.6 Macro D Aspherical IF (which cost me something like $10 in a group of lenses I got on eBay) on an LA-EA4 was my go-to lens for the A7 -- really an excellent lens with great IQ except for slightly funny colors, and it AFs fairly fast. Could have used it on the NEX-7 for more reach, but never needed that this trip.
  • My Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM (which cost me $675 new and is awkward and huge) was on the NEX-7 most of the time via an LA-EA1.  From 14-16mm this lens also covers FF nicely on the A7 using the LA-EA4. It is no surprise that most of my favorite shots were taken with this lens on the NEX-7; it's hard to use this lens well, but it gets you perspectives you just don't have as options with other lenses.
  • My Tamron SP 90mm f/2.5 Macro was the hands-down winner for macros and gives great bokeh, so it also doubles as a portrait lens -- works great on both A7 and NEX-7.
  • An old Accura 12mm fisheye on the A7 using a Lens Turbo (a tiny combo which gives a 170-degree circular fisheye on FF) was used for special purposes. I'd prefer a 185 degree circle, but this combo is so much smaller than my other fisheyes that it won out.
  • An M42 SMC Takumar 35mm f/2 was handy for low light.
  • An M42 Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 was the really low light thing I brought (f/1 on the NEX-7+LT), but it barely got used.  Not really the fault of the lens, just circumstances.

In addition, my daughter was shooting with a NEX-5 and the kit zoom. I think I borrowed the kit zoom once briefly for the NEX-7....

In sum:

• I was surprised by how much of everything was handled nicely by the A7 + 28-200mm. I'm mostly a manual-focus shooter, but not needing to change lenses while shooting in a rapid sequence of unpredictable random circumstances (i.e., travel photos) is a huge win.
  • Overall, the NEX-7 images didn't look inferior to the A7 images. The extra stop of dynamic range of the A7 is noticable, and certainly leaves more room for postprocessing, but the NEX-7 images often looked a touch crisper. The A7 also seems to be less of a sensor dust magnet, but neither camera was a problem this trip. I wouldn't have had a problem exclusively using either camera body.

The A6000 is not inferior to the NEX-7, and the menus match those of the A7 way better than my NEX-7 does (although the NEX-7 tri-navi is just as effective overall). I think starting with an A6000 + Tamron 18-200mm will get you through a heck of a lot of circumstances....

However, do yourself a favor and do try an old manual fast 50 too. I know it was the loser in my travel kit this time... but a year ago, my Canon FL 55mm f/1.2 on an LT was the big winner (I attended a wedding in Turkey last year, and it made great portraits and small-group portraits).

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow