Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,207Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking of getting into FX but have a few reservations
In reply to stromaroma, 6 months ago

stromaroma wrote:

Thanks for the responses guys.

Regarding the 24-85 lens, I hear conflicting things about it. Thom Hogan says it's good but then I see other people saying it has poor bokeh and distortion. Is it worth it do you think to drop the $550 on it? That's quite a bit of money for a kit lens and I was hoping to get some nice DOF subject isolation and this lens doesn't seem to be able to deliver that well. I could get one of the numerous primes as mentioned but I also like having some zoom ability.

-- hide signature --

In many ways I agree with the above poster, you really need primes for the whole bokeh thing -- or bite the bullet on 2.8 zooms. If your photography is a business then tools -- regardless of cost -- are priceless because they help you do your job. If it's a hobby then modern toys are costly.

At the same time, there are no absolutes. I may prefer, say, only a portion of a face be sharp for pleasing portrait, others may prefer a tack sharp image from nose tip to the back of the head.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow