ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GarethM84
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Long exposure questions
6 months ago

Hey guys,

I'm quite new to this and have some questions about calculating exposure times.

When I see beautiful photos of landscapes (especially at golden hour) they always tend to have long exposure times, normally longer than I'd imagine they would need to get a a decent exposure.

My first question is, what is the best way of calculating exposure times under 2 scenarios. 1 early morning golden hour landscape shots and 2 landscape shots at night with the aim of bringing out the stars and the moon?

Another question (which may be a bit silly). If I was to use an ND filter it would allow me to use a much longer exposure time at golden hour. Would this give me a better dynamic range or would the ND + long exposure just be exactly the same as a shorter exposure without the ND filter?

Edit - A third question!  What would be the most suitable lens?  I have a Nikon d5100.  the 18-55 kit, 35mm prime and an 85mm prime.  Now the 18-55 is the best focal range for it but I was under the impression that the 35mm has better glass so may produce a better quality picture?

Thanks in advance.

Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow