Anyone finding the huge raw files a pain on the 800?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Dougbm_2
Regular MemberPosts: 268Gear list
Like?
Re: YES
In reply to ranalli, 2 months ago

ranalli wrote:

Bruce Granofsky wrote:

Craig wrote:

I shoot weddings and have a d700 and D3s and I convert the files to DNG since I take way over 1000 shots for most weddings.

I can't imagine dealing with files that are 7,8 times each larger than my 12 MP cameras.

The new 810 may be temping for me to finally say good by to my D700 if the features on it are to my liking.

Or I was thinking about a good used D4

Even though I've got the souped up Mac and hard drives, they do tend to get unruly when working with layers in PhotoShop.

The D4's and DF are a good alternative to shooting with smaller files and you get the bonus of higher ISO.

I use my D800 sparingly for special events. (Sunsets, Mountains views etc)

Bruce

If you're doing a proper retouch in Photoshop you're looking at 20-30 layers without even batting an eye.

Then I might suggest you need to revise your workflow. Seriously. : )

The resulting file size and strain on the PC memory is quite massive so I can certainly understand the complaint about D800 file size. I've had D700 files grow to 2-4GB in size once you start compositing things on top of the retouch.

Dougbm_2's gear list:Dougbm_2's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
NopeNew
YESNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow