Micro Four Thirds Focal Reducer Shootout

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Klarno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,597Gear list
Like?
Re: Micro Four Thirds Focal Reducer Shootout
In reply to RRRoger, 6 months ago

Brian,

What are the chance of a Nikon to 4/3 version that transfers the electrical contact like MetaBones have done for Canon?

-- hide signature --

RRRoger

While admittedly I am not Brian and have no affiliation with him or Metabones, perhaps I can provide an answer:

The trouble with Nikon mount in a smart adapter is that the aperture for Nikon lenses is stopped down, mechanically, by a coupling in the camera itself. As far as I know, the only "smart" mount adapters which have any mechanical features at all are Sony's adapter from Minolta/Sony Alpha to Sony E, and Nikon's adapter from Nikon F to Nikon CX. Both of these adapters are respectively developed by companies that understand each lens mount backwards and forwards.

I think a small third-party company like Metabones doing the necessary complex R&D and coming up with a mechanical smart adapter is a pretty unlikely proposition, particularly given a mount which has problems like Nikon F does (a given aperture coupling position can be a stop or more different between lens models, and this is especially important with G lenses with no aperture ring-- and the only reason that Nikon cameras stop down the lens correctly is because Nikon themselves knows what's going on).

Canon EF smart adapters have been developed for Sony E (and MFT to a much more limited extent), but Canon EF's communication is entirely electronic, which makes the problem easier to deal with at a level that's that only really needs good programming: camera sends one signal to the SoC in the adapter, and it translates that to a signal that can be interpreted in the lens.
--
http://www.photoklarno.com

Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 A3000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow