Peter Mueller
Contributing MemberPosts: 565Gear list
Like?
Re: Obvious bait and switch site
In reply to Rich Rosen, 4 months ago

Rich Rosen wrote:

Peter Mueller wrote:

Roland Wooster wrote:

They are currently advertising a Nikon 24-70 VR lens.

However, all the links just point you to the standard 24-70mm, non VR. If their advertising is so clearly false I can only imagine what their customer service is like.

-- hide signature --

I don't get it. Nikon's 24-70 f/2.8 does not have VR. Does 42nd street claim it does? Could you post a link to the advertisement? I am not trying to defend the store against reason and I have bought photo equipment from B&H (very happy with B&H) and Adorama (not really happy), but I did buy from 42nd Street and had a 100% positive experience. I notice that most if not all of the folks badmouthing them here have not purchased from them. So what gives?

Interesting point, about many of us not purchasing from 42nd ST Photo. The site, photo.net had a shop review section some years ago, that was more comprehensive than it is today. Among the shops, that were badly reviewed on a consistent basis; 42nd St Photo. So I never purchased from them. I had been warned. When the OP posted his question, I felt it necessary to inform him/her of my knowledge of 42nd St's reputation, but told him that I had not purchased from them.

I decided that an old reputation could change after all these years, and so I did a little research on how 42nd st photo is currently viewed. Intially, the reviews I found were mixed on photo.net, so I went further and looked at a site called consumer affairs.com (looks like a private site). The majority of reviews on that site gave 42nd St 5 out 5 stars. But I noticed something very curious: that some reviews were edited or updated, and the rating was improved. 42nd St had contacted these reviewers and promised make good on a customers order... if the reviewer would change the review. Several upgraded reviews mention this enticement, or bribe.

So in my mind, the shoddy, dishonest way 42nd street photo has not changed. It has only gotten more sophisticated in its dishonesty. I don't know what to make of your experience, or the experience of many others, who say that 42nd St is ok. I know, however, that I would not buy from them, because I 've seen enough reviews, to confirm that in many cases, they are dishonest. I felt the OP needed to know that.

Hi Rich,

Fair enough. You have a good point, which is well taken.

I should point put, however, that I was not addressing you specifically, but rather I was responding to Roland who is attacking the store for something that he himself may be mistaken about.  It is quite possible that 42nd street photo has been and maybe still is, at least on occasion, less than ethical in its sales practices; nevertheless, I, in my personal experience, as an actual customer, did not experience this.  Maybe that is because I was extra careful (I contacted them beforehand, asking all kinds of specific questions, etc.), maybe the sales guy with whom I was dealing (Jonathan by name) was especially well trained or something, but I got exactly what I wanted for exactly the price advertised without any attempt to up-sell me anything.

I did not leave a review on any of the sites you mentioned, but it would have been a positive one without the need to correct it later.  And, just in case anyone wonders: I am not affiliated with 42nd street and I am not paid by them.  Maybe I got lucky, but I would buy from them again (even though I'd still be careful, while I buy from B&H without thinking twice about pretty much anything).

By the way: Over the past 10 to 15 years, I have bought camera equipment from local camera stores, Adorama, B&H, Amazon and from 42nd street as well as many used items through KEH, ebay and Fred Miranda.  The only less than good experience was with ebay (my own fault for not checking carefully enough) and with Adorama (and that wasn't very bad either; just an annoyingly poorly informed sales guy on the phone and way too slow shipping).

Peter Mueller's gear list:Peter Mueller's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +26 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow