Strategist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,953Gear list
Like?
Re: GBH Flight Sequence from Great Falls on the Potomac River
In reply to Fish Chris, 3 months ago

Fish Chris wrote:

Strategist wrote:

Fish Chris wrote:

Very nice GBH shots. Like the BG a lot too.

Just curious why you used 1/4000 and 1/5000th ? I often prefer the wings of a bird to be totally sharp and unblurred.... however, this can usually be achieved with larger birds, at 1/2000th, or even 1/1600th....

When learning my 7D, I had graduated up to as fast as 1/3200.... and I thought that was fast... but even at 1/3200, I saw considerable photo quality degradation, and ended up going back to at least 1/2500... or slower... and in fact, thinking more about pushing it down to the slower end, using my new tripod more often....

But in any case, these are very nice I love GBH's

Peace,

Fish

Hello Fish, the shutter speed was automated since I tend to shoot BIG in aperture priority. In this case, I was focused on a GBH that was closer to me and fishing with the grey rocks of Great Falls in the background. I set the F5 to try and blur the background as much as possible without doing damage to the bird. Though the camera and tripod were on the closer bird, I noticed this one flying from left to right and simply moved quickly to the camera and started shooting the heron in flight. Had I not been watching the fishing activities of the closer bird, I might have adjusted to F7.1 or 8 in order to give me a bit more DOF since I had the falls in the background.

I haven't noticed a degradation in going to the faster shutter speeds, but that is something that I will need to experiment with and see what I get. Thanks for the suggestion!

-- hide signature --

Tom

Right on. That explains it.

When I mentioned degradation of PQ, regarding faster shutter speeds, I didn't mean to say,
degradation directly from the faster shutter speed, but rather, because a faster shutter speed (when the camera is adjusting other aspects (such as in TV) will cause the ISO to go higher...

So like when I'm shooting in TV (much of the time when I'm birding) speeding up my shutter, indirectly gives me more noise.

Peace,

Fish

Now I understand...I'm kind of slow this evening, Fish. Yeah, I use auto ISO on occasion, but usually only when the light is very poor. I do use it shooting some swim team events in the evening when the light is getting bad. But you are right about being careful with auto ISO. It's a great feature for some situations, though.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Strategist's gear list:Strategist's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4D ED-IF II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow