Some new infos about dp2Q from the touch and try event. + JPEG samples from Yodobashi and MapCamera

Started Jun 19, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
richard stone
Senior MemberPosts: 1,702
Re: Seriously?
In reply to rick decker, Jun 20, 2014

rick decker wrote:

My interest was in showing noise and blotching.

-- hide signature --
The greatest photographers of the American West shoot beyond the classics.

I don't see any blotching. It almost seems like something is missing.

Honestly, with the quattro Sigma set out to make the sensor/camera "work" better, as I see it, and still maintain the "sharpness" of the image, and the purple blotches seem to have gone away. As for "noise," that is inevitable (and visible) whenever some level of underexposure occurs. The issue is whether the noise is obvious and objectionable. Here it is not.

For that matter, we could define under-exposure in terms of objectionable noise.

The waterfall image is underexposed, a serious test in the past for Foveon sensors.

It seems to me there must have been something inherent in the design of the former X3 sensors that made it very difficult to get rid of the purple/ magenta blotching. Apparently not an issue here. But in any event, as has been pointed out elsewhere, if someone really plans on shooting in near darkness, he cannot expect the ultimate in color and sharpness, whether using Bayer or Foveon. Similarly, if someone want the best possible image he has to shoot at near base ISO. And, generally, keep the camera from moving during exposure.

I have always felt there was a trade-off between Bayer and Foveon, with Bayer being better than Foveon in limited and mixed light, yet with Foveon being more capable of absolute sharpness in good light with comparable sensor sizes. Here we are comparing an APS-C sized Foveon sensor to a FF Bayer, a top of the line camera produced by a premier camera brand, an astounding thought, really. Sigma, all by itself, doing that?

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow