Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ohhboy
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Learning my new ZS40
2 months ago

I just purchased a ZS40 to replace my aging Nikon S8100.  It is very frustrating because I love everything about the camera except for the smudgy JPEGs that it puts out.

I've been doing some comparisons between the ZS40 and my old Nikon (which is the same size sensor, but only 10x zoom, and only 12 MP).  I've been taking pictures with the Nikon in automatic mode and then setup the ZS40 to the exact same ISO, aperture, and exposure.  Every time the Nikon image contains much more detail than the ZS40.  I know people will tell me that I shouldn't be pixel peeping, but with the Nikon you can zoom in on the image and see very fine details that are smudged out in the ZS40 jpegs.  The differences are less noticeable in bright light (though still there), and it just gets worse as the amount of light decreases.  I'm just disappointed because I was hoping that I would get images at least as good as my old camera.

I have tried playing with the RAW images, but I have no clue what I am doing there.  I've opened them up in SilkyPix and played with the noise reduction options, but never end up with anything close to as good as the camera JPEGs.  I'm sure I am just doing something wrong because I have seen people post some really nice pictures from this camera.

Nikon Coolpix S8100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow