Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kdc1113
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Greetings To All
6 months ago

Hello fellow Fuji shooters. My name is Karel, and I want to introduce myself as I am new to Dpreview, and just recently became a Fuji shooter myself.

A little background: I am 28 years old, from Miami and started liking photography when I was about 20 years old. Before then, I hated taking pictures and not to mention even pose for one...until I met my girlfriend (who is my wife today), and she made me get her a DSLR for her birthday. It was a little Nikon D60 with kit lens. Let's just say once I got ahold of that thing I was amazed (I had never seen or cared for photos with such good quality) and I ended up using that Nikon more than she ever did, until it basically became mine. 

From there on, I upgraded to other Nikon bodies (D5000, D90, D7000) which I used for quite a few years. I basically read and learned about photography myself. I went through hundreds of lengthy YouTube videos and online articles about photography. I am not a pro by any means, but I have to say that my absolute favorite thing in this world is to travel and take great memorable photos. In my opinion, there is nothing more enjoyable, but it started to become less and less enjoyable in the past couple of years....mainly due to me not wanting to carry DSLR gear around our trips anymore.

On recent cruise and Europe trips, I found myself bothered by walking around all day with my DSLR hanging around my neck and a camera bag full of lenses and flash. It wasn't fun anymore. I wanted to be comfortable again. So, for the first time ever, I started looking for my first mirrorless system. After LONG days of research, going back and forth, observing the props and cons from each mirrorless system, getting opinions from just about everyone I know and from my main contact in my local camera store, I pulled the trigger on a Fuji X-T1 kit, 55-200 lens and EF-42 flash to start off about 2 weeks ago.

Man, after just 1 week of using this camera, I am happy to say that I sold all my Nikon gear and I couldn't be possible happier. This X-T1 made me fall in love with photography all over again. It is small, great build and my camera bag today weighs less than half of what it used to. To be honest, I do not know what it is as far as technical explanations go....but the image quality and the way these photos look from this X-T1 camera with the "kit" 18-55 (best kit lens I have ever used), is just unexplainable. I guess if I were to try to describe it to the best of my ability:
The Nikon photos along with other brands like Sony, Canon which I have seen before all tend to look more "digital" in a sense I guess? Great image quality though, do not get me wrong. But the images I see from my Fuji, are both SUPERB in quality yet more organic, more real-life. It is very close to what my eyes see. I guess it's that X-Trans color array everyone speaks of. It is absolutely fantastic. The Jpeg's possibly look better than any RAW file I would ever try process in my computer.

Either way, I am more than ecstatic to join this great site and to be a Fuji user today. I will try to give me honest opinions and suggestions here, and also post some photos whenever I can. I am actually leaving on a lengthy Canada trip real soon and I cannot wait to take my X-T1 on the road for the first time.

Have a good day!

Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D7000 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow