How does a jpg get 1 stop ISO improvement, and not the RAW file?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GBJ
GBJ
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
How does a jpg get 1 stop ISO improvement, and not the RAW file?
5 months ago

How does a jpg get 1 stop ISO improvement, and not the RAW file? I have asked this question before, but there was no insight.

With the rumored D810, there is hope that there will be 1 stop high ISO improvement. So, if Nikon have improved the in-camera algorithims to convert the Raw to a jpg, in-camera, would this not mean that if we used the original Raw file, at home, with our image processors, like PS, that we should be able to also get the same increase in image quality from the Raw file? I am speaking mainly of being able to get 1 stop better high ISO results.

If Nikon can get 1 stop high ISO improvement when they convert a Raw to a jpg, shouldn't we also be able to get the same results? So really, doesn't 1 stop high ISO improvement in JPG also means 1 stop high ISO in Raw?

I was hoping to hear from photographers who are very technically trained and schooled, and not the average photographer who is just assuming and guessing a proper answer. That would be misleading.

Thanks

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow