GBH Flight Sequence from Great Falls on the Potomac River

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Strategist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,941Gear list
Like?
Re: GBH Flight Sequence from Great Falls on the Potomac River
In reply to Fish Chris, 3 months ago

Fish Chris wrote:

Very nice GBH shots. Like the BG a lot too.

Just curious why you used 1/4000 and 1/5000th ? I often prefer the wings of a bird to be totally sharp and unblurred.... however, this can usually be achieved with larger birds, at 1/2000th, or even 1/1600th....

When learning my 7D, I had graduated up to as fast as 1/3200.... and I thought that was fast... but even at 1/3200, I saw considerable photo quality degradation, and ended up going back to at least 1/2500... or slower... and in fact, thinking more about pushing it down to the slower end, using my new tripod more often....

But in any case, these are very nice I love GBH's

Peace,

Fish

Hello Fish, the shutter speed was automated since I tend to shoot BIG in aperture priority.  In this case, I was focused on a GBH that was closer to me and fishing with the grey rocks of Great Falls in the background.  I set the F5 to try and blur the background as much as possible without doing damage to the bird.  Though the camera and tripod were on the closer bird, I noticed this one flying from left to right and simply moved quickly to the camera and started shooting the heron in flight.  Had I not been watching the fishing activities of the closer bird, I might have adjusted to F7.1 or 8 in order to give me a bit more DOF since I had the falls in the background.

I haven't noticed a degradation in going to the faster shutter speeds, but that is something that I will need to experiment with and see what I get.  Thanks for the suggestion!

-- hide signature --

Tom

Strategist's gear list:Strategist's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4D ED-IF II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow