Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
DFPanno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,041Gear list
Like?
Re: Selling my D800E for WHAT?!?
In reply to Paul712, 6 months ago

Paul712 wrote:

Hi,

I am not a professional, so I do not have to worry about what others may think of my using a Sony Alpha 7R instead of larger Pro-look cameras

Same.

I have both FE 24-70 and FE 70-200. My experience is positive. Several years ago, when Cameras did not have autofocus, my photos were correctly focused manually 100% of the time. After the introduction of the autofocus capabilities, my success rate for about only 95%.

Same.

This is mostly because, what autofocus decides to focus on may not be what I want to focus on.

True; There is no set of cameras for which that is more true than the Sonys.

But, now with the I always keep the focus option at "DMF", which after the camera does the autofocus, allows me to fine tune the focus manually, whenever the photo is important and have few seconds to adjust the focus.

Same.  I leave it on MF and generally use the C1 to AF with a MF fine tune.

Now, with the DMF capability, I am back to 100% of my photos in correct focus. I feel the same way like you that the A7R feels comfortable and reliable in my hand.

True; but it does take time.

Recently a friend tried my A7R using me as subject to try out my camera. To my surprise, the autofocus was so accurate that my photo showed may facial hair in my face which I missed in my shaving that morning.

I found the autofocus to be accurate and reliable.

Not me - I consider my Sony's MF cameras.

For a wedding coverage, I do not think the speed of autofocus is important, but the accuracy and reliability of the focus is important. Also, it probably worth the few seconds of your time to inspect and override the autofocus manually for a better focused ph

No.  Speed is important too.

Not in the context of formal shots but in the "grabs" that personalize the event; i.e. Dad's look of love to the bride; the impromptu silliness of the best man, etc.

If I were in your "Pro" shoes, I will probably continue using the A7R as my primary camera system for its comfort and reliability.

I don't find the A7R particularly comfortable (other then the light weight).

My 5D3 has a much better grip and the controls "fall immediately to hand/finger. I find I often have to remove the A7R from my face to adjust the controls.

For that reason alone I find the 5D3 to be much more of a event/PJ camera.

But, I will evaluate my "Pro" image for likelihood of attracting customers who give importance to my using a bigger and heavier camera equipment (instead of the quality of my portfolio of photographs). If so, for customer image, I may carry the Nikon, as a second camera system, just to impress them. Personally, although i had been a happy user of Nikon in the past. I would not like to mix and use two different systems (with different menus, options, etc) at the same time. Hence, Sony A7R will be my primary system

If you are the only decent photographer in Elk Bend, Mississippi you don't have to worry about image.

If you come here to NYC you will find that you are one of 15,000 wedding photographers; 3,000 of whom are top pros with "drop dead gorgeous" portfolios.

Trust me - they all do everything they need to do to keep food on the table even if that means dressing like Ronald McDonald.

I know it is a big decision for you. I hope some of my comment will be of help to you in your decision.

.... Paul

LCplHerold wrote:

Hello everyone.

I am currently a working as a 2nd shooter (and sometimes as 1st) for Wedding/Corporate event gigs.

I currently am invested in Nikon gear (D800E, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, etc) but I also own a Sony A7r. I only use a Leica 50mm summicron on my A7r so I have no experience with how it autofocuses. When I am shooting I normally carry my A7r w/ Leica 50mm on one shoulder and my D800e on the other with a 70-200mm, this usually covers what I need unless I need a wide shot.

The funny thing is, I find myself shooting far, far more with my A7r than I do with my D800e, and it not the choice in lens. The A7r just feels far more comfortable and reliable (I have never been good at MF with a OVF but with a EVF it is a different story).

So here is my question:

I am contemplating selling ALL my nikon gear and in turn buying an A7, FE 24-70, FE 70-200. Is this a poor idea?

My one fear is when I do start to 1st shoot more than the AF will murder me, as I hear nothing but complaints about both the A7r's and the A7's autofocus. I get the feeling from the way people trash it than in a lower light scenario I will have next to useless AF.

What would you recommend and why?

Thank you for your time in reading this.

All the best,

LCpl. Herold

-- hide signature --

Paul

DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
A7SNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow