Klarno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,596Gear list
Like?
Re: Micro Four Thirds Focal Reducer Shootout
In reply to RRRoger, 6 months ago

RRRoger wrote:

Brian,

First off, I do not belive your charts.

It's worth noting that test charts never tell the whole story. They overemphasize flatness of field, which is important for photos of flat subjects, but becomes less important when you're photographing a three-dimensional scene.

If the competition delivered images that blurry, no one would buy them, we would be hearing pleanty of complaints.

The Lens Turbo is probably the most popular focal reducer, and it does indeed get plenty of complaints about corner sharpness. The Lens Turbo also gets praised as being just fine for the express purpose of shallow DoF photography, with very good sharpness results for shallow DoF images where corner sharpness is unimportant (I thought about getting one, but I didn't like its visible impact on bokeh I was seeing with pretty much every sample shot out of it).

With the even cheaper focal reducers, well, people know what they're getting into and don't expect miracles.

The Light Cannon got so many complaints that its manufacturer relabeled their existing stock as "soft focus adapters" and has gone back to the drawing board.

-- hide signature --
 Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 A3000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow