Bragging about our expensive mirrorless/DSLR vs a point and shoot

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
a l b e r t
Senior MemberPosts: 1,275Gear list
Like?
Re: Bragging about our expensive mirrorless/DSLR vs a point and shoot
In reply to mr moonlight, 2 months ago

mr moonlight wrote:

I figure by the size of the subjects in his second photo, he was roughly 6'-7' from them and still got a good amount of background scenery. At that distance, the on camera flash would still be able to shed some light on his subjects. Since he had a zoom, he could go a bit wider, step in a little and while his perspective would change, he'd be able to light up his subjects even more while still getting the background scenery.

I'm thinking if he was at 5' at 18mm, with his camera set to ISO200, f14, 1/200 his background would be exposed close enough and his flash would have enough power to give a little fill. It's not an ideal situation, but I think he'd be able to get much better results if he gave the flash a bit of a chance.

Of course HSS is an awesome feature in itself and one of the reasons I bring my X100 every where I go.

The built-in flash is not going to do much when aperture is something like f14.

I just looked at some pics I took in Singapore a few years ago with my Fuji f31fd.  Lots of backlit situations and I used the f31fd's built-in flash and everything came out nicely.  I saw 1/600, 1/750 shutter speed with the flash.

This is the situation only HSS flash will provide the correct exposure.  Currently, this is the limitation of X Mount system.  No amount of user skill or camera settings are going to help unless he has a large reflector.

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D3S Fujifilm X-E1 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow