Bragging about our expensive mirrorless/DSLR vs a point and shoot

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
TacticDesigns
Contributing MemberPosts: 697Gear list
Like?
Re: He has a point.
In reply to photoreddi, 5 months ago

photoreddi wrote:

Of course you can find a few exceptions. Nikon's N1 cameras are one example, and it's probably due to the unusual design of the Aptina sensors that they use that allows incredibly fast readout of data from the sensors. That's probably why their electronic shutter's sync speeds are so slow. But they're not exactly cheap P&S cameras, and I'm not aware of any cheap P&S that uses an Aptina sensor although there may be some other cheap P&S cameras that also have slow sync speeds, possibly the older ones that use CCD instead of CMOS sensors.

For example, some of Nikon's older DSLRs used both a mechanical focal plane shutter and an electronic sensor. They had a higher flash sync. speed (1/500th sec), but since they used CCD sensors they couldn't go faster because the CCD design suffered from much greater inter-photosite leakage than CMOS sensors, but at faster shutter speeds the focal plane part of the shutter remained fully open far too long, resulting in photos that showed severe vertical blooming. So I'm not really sure how old cameras with CCD sensors handled flash. Just guessing, but maybe they also had a mechanical shutter, but leaf type shutter to help out the CCD's electronic shutter, not a focal plane shutter.

My Pentax Q has the ability to disable the shutter in the lens and use an electronic shutter.

(Some of the less expensive Pentax Q lenses don't have a built-in shutter, so rely on the electronic shutter.)

Out of curiousity I disabled the physical shutter and just used the electronic shutter (I think I did it right) and experimented on how fast I could get the shutter to sync with the built-in flash . . . it went up to its maximum shutter speed of 1/2000 sec.

But that doesn't mean you could flash sync this fast with a "dumb" flash . . . ie. trigger a manual flash like a Vivitar 285HV this fast.

That was the "big" thing that the Strobist pointed out with the older Nikon D70 / D70s / D50 / D40 . . . that its electronic shutter could flash sync up to 1/500 sec with a cheap manual external flash.

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix XP50 Pentax K100D Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow