Selling my D800E for WHAT?!?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Jeff2013
Regular MemberPosts: 208Gear list
Like?
Re: Selling my D800E for WHAT?!?
In reply to LCplHerold, 6 months ago

When I first acquired my A7R, I would carry it as a second camera to my D800E at portrait sessions and events.  I started finding that I really liked the results more from the A7R, so I dropped the D800E and acquired a second A7R.

The 55mm f1.8 is a stunning lens and I find that it is worth it to walk a few paces (in lieu of a zoom) to get my shots.  It seems to focus about as well as my D800E in most any light.  The FE 24-70mm f4 doesn't focus quite as well in really low light, but it does lock focus (just slightly slower) and is good enough for event photography.  In reasonably good light, it focuses very fast.

While I previously used zooms fairly extensively for events on my D800E (Nikon 24-70m f2.8 & 70-200mm f2.8 VRII), I now use my FE 55mm f1.8 and the Sony Zeiss 135mm f1.8/LA-EA4.  This has allowed the quality of my work to improve, noticeably.  I get a lot more "stunning" shots than I ever used to. My D800E now sits safely in the trunk (boot) of my car for most shoots.

Another advantage of using the Sony system is the ADI feature on the Sony flashes (distance measuring).  With my Nikon SB910's, I would need to level the light in post-processing as the distance to subjects changed during events.  With ADI on the Sony flashes, nearly every flash shot is perfectly exposed.  This saves a lot of time!!

I will be really happy when the new Sony FE 85mm f1.8 lens is released later this year - as well as the FE 16-35mm.  My D800E has now become my sports, nature and bird photography camera; although, I now use it, reluctantly.

As a final note, use the vertical grip for event photography.  Not only is it easier to use for extended periods, the second battery allows it to last for the whole event.

Jeff2013's gear list:Jeff2013's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
A7SNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow