Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mikedigi
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,434Gear list
Like?
Another Leafcutter Bee waits to emerge - and some beehouses. FZ200
3 months ago

After 11 months in the 9mm bamboo tube, this Leafcutter Bee has burst out of its pupa/chrysalis, chewed through its rose leaf mummy-wrap and is building up strength to face the world.

It is well down the tube in the dark and hardly visible to the naked eye, and with close-up macro the onboard flash would have plunged the bee itself into shadow, so I used tele-macro, 12mp, 600mm from about 4 feet (1 meter) away, spot focus on the tube end, Manual mode, 100 ISO, f5 and 1/160 sec, flash compensation 0. This is a 50% crop reduced to 966x725px.

This bee is in the Mk 2 of my 7 beehouses, all home-made except the Mk 1, which was bought.

If anyone is interested I'll post a few pics showing more detail of them.  Note that all the beehouses except the Mk 1 have 1/2" (12mm) wire mesh on the front to exclude Woodpeckers, following a terrorist attack by a Greater Spotted Woodpecker in 2013.

Mike

Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow