Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JacquesC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,393
Like?
EM10 - what an excellent travel kit !
4 months ago

My wife and I just returned from a week long visit to Mauritius, a tropical island in the Indian Ocean, east of Madagaskar.

For the first time in many years I left my DSLR kit behind and took only my EM10, 14-42 IIR kit-lens, one battery, one memory card, and charger along as a test to see how well it will work as a travel kit.

I was very hesitant in doing so and not convinced that it will work out fine. I consoled myself that my wife's D800 + lenses will be available to me should the need arise for something more substantial than my minimum kit.

I need not have feared, the EM10 was an absolute pleasure to use - small, light, inconspicuous, and very capable. I did not miss my DSLR even once, the only thing I missed was a wider lens, the 9-18mm Oly would've been very handy to have.

To make a long story short :

My minimal kit worked brilliantly as a travel kit while on holiday with no particular emphasis on serious photography other than documenting our travels. Adding a wide-angle lens will be sufficient for me in future. A big, unexpected, and welcome surprise to me was how well the kit-lens performed, even in poor light !

If the reason for travel is seriously photography oriented, then it might be prudent to put up with the extra weight, size, and hassle of a DSLR kit, but anything short of that will see me leave the DSLR at home in future

I wrote a blog about our holiday for anybody interested in having a look - all images were shot with the EM10 + 14-42 IIR.

Seven days of Delicious Mauritius

Here's one of many quick pics I shot - click to open larger:

-- hide signature --

Jacques
apple-and-eve.com

Nikon D800 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow