Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,131Gear list
Like?
Macro with the RX100Mark3 and RX10
2 months ago

One of my favorite types of photography is Macro, so today I tested both of my new Sony's with some flowers and bees.

My first observation with the RX100Mark3 was that the close focus distance of 5cm does not apply to any zoom.  Once you leave 24mm the focus distance is more like 30cm's ish.  So unfortunately the Mark 3 will not be as useful here as my Olympus XZ-1 and LF1 that can zoom in so you don't scare off your subject buy invading its personal space.

But the Mark 3 has 20 mega pixels so I was able to get some nice shots after cropping.   The RX10 did better in this regard of course.  I did try the aperture from f4 to f8.  At f8 the bokeh is not pretty but I was trying to capture a bee in flight for fun and was hoping the extra DOF would help.

I think overall for macros my FZ200 is easier to use, but the detail is better from these two.  I think the FZ1000 will be great in this area.

Mark 3

Mark 3

Mark 3

RX10

RX10

RX10

RX10

RX10

RX10

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 RX100 III +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow