photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 3,718
Like?
Re: He has a point.
In reply to Veijo Vilva, 1 month ago

Veijo Vilva wrote:

photoreddi wrote:

ddtan wrote:

I must say that the OP does have a point. In that there is no reason for an expensive camera not to also have an auto mode that rivals a cheaper point and shoot, those things are not mutually exclusive. His scenario has happened to me many times, call me ignorant.

There is a reason. The X-mount cameras use focal plane shutters, and that mandates a relatively slow flash sync speed. To increase the flash sync speed would mean replacing the focal plane shutter with an electronic shutter or using a leaf shutter (inside the lens) like the X100/X100s whose leaves are small blades so they can operate faster. It's possible for future Fuji X-mount cameras to work as well as cheap P&S cameras, but to do that they'd need a hardware change, and one would be to use the kind of sensors the P&S cameras use that have built-in electronic shutters.

There's a fairly reliable way to tell if a camera has a really fast sync. speed that permits shutter speeds of 1/1000 and faster Disable the camera's electronic sounds and see if the shutter makes a noticeable sound when you take a picture. If it's mostly silent you're good to go. If you hear a noticeable shutter sound, you're probably hosed.

An electronic shutter doesn't necessarily allow faster sync speeds. E.g., Nikon 1 V1/V2/V3 sync up to 1/250 s with the mechanical shutter but only up to 1/60 s when the electronic one is used.

Of course you can find a few exceptions. Nikon's N1 cameras are one example, and it's probably due to the unusual design of the Aptina sensors that they use that allows incredibly fast readout of data from the sensors. That's probably why their electronic shutter's sync speeds are so slow. But they're not exactly cheap P&S cameras, and I'm not aware of any cheap P&S that uses an Aptina sensor although there may be some other cheap P&S cameras that also have slow sync speeds, possibly the older ones that use CCD instead of CMOS sensors.

For example, some of Nikon's older DSLRs used both a mechanical focal plane shutter and an electronic sensor. They had a higher flash sync. speed (1/500th sec), but since they used CCD sensors they couldn't go faster because the CCD design suffered from much greater inter-photosite leakage than CMOS sensors, but at faster shutter speeds the focal plane part of the shutter remained fully open far too long, resulting in photos that showed severe vertical blooming. So I'm not really sure how old cameras with CCD sensors handled flash. Just guessing, but maybe they also had a mechanical shutter, but leaf type shutter to help out the CCD's electronic shutter, not a focal plane shutter.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow