Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
skookum8
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
Nikon shifting more of its focus to medical/health
2 months ago

Saw this in today's WSJ Morning Ledger (with more detail in an article behind their paywall):

"Nikon shifts focus to health as camera sales flag. Nikon Corp.’s incoming chief executive said he would aggressively expand his company’s medical business through acquisitions in a bid to counter a slump in camera sales, the WSJ’s Kana Inagaki reports. The Tokyo-based camera maker plans to spend about $2 billion for mergers and acquisitions in the medical and instruments businesses over the next three years. The strategic shift comes as camera sales plummet as consumers opt to snap photos on their smartphones."

While Thom Hogan has been critical of Nikon's management decisions, I do think he's bringing up a valid point about how committed Nikon will be in supporting its camera division:

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/dr-nikon-in-the-house-event.html

I still want to see Nikon return to its world beating days during the last decade but I'm really wondering if they've now concluded that its not worth the effort and, as a result, more industry consolidation is on the way.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow