LCplHerold
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Re: Selling my D800E for WHAT?!?
In reply to blue_skies, 3 months ago

blue_skies wrote:

LCplHerold wrote:

Hello everyone.

I am currently a working as a 2nd shooter (and sometimes as 1st) for Wedding/Corporate event gigs.

I currently am invested in Nikon gear (D800E, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, etc) but I also own a Sony A7r. I only use a Leica 50mm summicron on my A7r so I have no experience with how it autofocuses. When I am shooting I normally carry my A7r w/ Leica 50mm on one shoulder and my D800e on the other with a 70-200mm, this usually covers what I need unless I need a wide shot.

The funny thing is, I find myself shooting far, far more with my A7r than I do with my D800e, and it not the choice in lens. The A7r just feels far more comfortable and reliable (I have never been good at MF with a OVF but with a EVF it is a different story).

So here is my question:

I am contemplating selling ALL my nikon gear and in turn buying an A7, FE 24-70, FE 70-200. Is this a poor idea?

My one fear is when I do start to 1st shoot more than the AF will murder me, as I hear nothing but complaints about both the A7r's and the A7's autofocus. I get the feeling from the way people trash it than in a lower light scenario I will have next to useless AF.

If you believe the internet hype then you will just succumb to the myths.

The AF of the A7/r works fine under low light - meaning most conditions that we encounter indoors and socially.

Drop the lights even further, and the AF begins to hunt. Basically, there is nothing distinguishable to focus on. For weddings, not so much a condition, unless done by candle-light in the outdoors on a moon-less night

Plus, you can up the ISO, and still get AF to work, as long as there are distinguishable shapes to focus on.

What would you recommend and why?

You have the A7r, so you can speak from your own experience. I don't know what lenses you are using, but both the FE35 and FE55 would work well in your scenarios.

If you have to convice yourself, rent the FE55 and try it out (socially) over a weekend or so. If that doesn't convince you, then add to the myths (about poor low light AF). But if you are like the rest of us, you will be rather impressed, I am sure.

Thank you for your time in reading this.

All the best,

LCpl. Herold

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Thank you so much for your reply.

I am currently using a Manual Focus range finder lens so my A7r has actually never focused on its own.

I truly do understand that people fall prey to myths which is one of the reasons I ask my question. I am only apprehensive about pulling the trigger as my photography is 100% of my income and I would hate to shoot myself in the foot so to speak.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
A7SNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow