Is the N1 the action/wildlife kit for me?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Tord S Eriksson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,655Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the N1 the action/wildlife kit for me?
In reply to DaveR43, 6 months ago

DaveR43 wrote:

(snip)

According to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_factor

"For a given exposure, for example for a fixed focal-plane illuminance and exposure time, larger image sensors capture more photons and hence produce images with less noise and greater dynamic range than smaller sensors. Due to the statistics of photon shot noise, the desirable properties of signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) and sensor unity gain both scale with the square root of pixel area"

If I have understood this correctly, since the pixel area for Cx is 2.7x2.7 smaller than Fx, the signal-to-noise ratio will scale by

Square root of (2.7x.27) = 2.7, i.e. the crop factor...

Just checking:

It is, by definition, the diagonal of the CX that's FX diagonal/2.7. In this case it doesn't matter: Both sensors are 3:2 aspect ratio, so we can compare diagonals, or linear length, or height!

The area of the CX is 13.2 x 8.8 mm, that is 116.16 sq. mm, while a D800 is 861.6 sq. mm (35.9 x 23), that is 7.4 times bigger, not exactly 2.7 x 2.7. But very close!

So you're right, the crop factor it is ;-)!

I usually simplify it: CX is half a MFT, which is half an APS-C, which is half a FX. And that's almost correct, if not perfectly! MF sensors are less than twice the FX area (for instance, Pentax 645Z is 1.7 times a D800 sensor), but there might be other dimensions?!

-- hide signature --

tord (at) mindless (dot) com
Mostly Nikon V1, & D600, user

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Pentax K-x Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow