Started 6 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Wordsmith9091
Regular MemberPosts: 219
Like?
Another night, another fashion show with the a6000
6 months ago

I've posted some images from this weekly fashion show at the Skyroom NYC lounge before. This one's a little different. It had been advertised as having "glow in the dark" fashions. I was picturing neon tubes or electric lights or a blacklight — something that would really pop. So I was originally planning to forgo the flash, and took the widest lens I've got, a Canon FD 50/1.4.

As it turns out, the "glow in the dark" bit was just these little balls sewn onto the clothing. Not particularly bright, even when right on top of them. So I was back to flash, but used that manual-focus lens for most of the night, including during the "runway" walk (it's really just he main area of the bar). Manual focus. In the dark. With moving models. At DOFs from F2 and wider (mostly).

Came away thinking I'd missed more than I got. And I've noticed that with my a6000, zooming in when reviewing pictures is a LOT less forgiving than I'm used to -- must be the 24mp sensor. Because at normal viewable sizes, plenty came out acceptably sharp. Of all of these, only the last (the b&w one) was taken with an autofocus lens — a Minolta "mini-beercan" 35-70/4.

This is all using a YN560-II flash (on an L-Bracket, with one of those dinky cowboystudio remote triggers just to provide a sync cable socket).

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow