Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LPLIV
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?
Nikon vs. Tamron 70-200mm Questions
2 months ago

I am really sorry to bring this one up again but I would appreciate some input from you all on my next step for a lens. I am looking at the 70-200mm lens and have narrowed it down to either the Tamron VC or the Nikon VRII. I don’t think that I will be buying the f4 lens because I will be using it first for weddings, events and portraits and then for my own shooting. (landscapes, family events etc..)

The Nikon might be pretty much out of my $ range out of the gate.. but of all the examples in Flickr, it seems to have a slight edge in color over the Tamron. Both are equally sharp. This lens will split duty with my Nikon 24-70mm which so far is my favorite working lens. I have three questions which I don’t think have been asked yet in all the threads that I have seen so far:

1. For the most part if I were to blow up a shot to a 20”x30” or larger shot would the Tamron remain as sharp as the Nikon VRII? (I shoot with a D600 FX camera)

2. Do I trust a Canadian dealer for Nikon/Tamron warranty work (6 years) to send the lens back to the Canadian factory? (Ebay has some really decent prices for these two lenses new.)

3. If I pick up a grey market lens where (besides Japan) can I get quality work done on the lens because Tamron USA has taken the Nikon no touch policy? (IE: non warranty work for $’s that you trust)

Any input you might have will be greatly appreciated, I am now in a position where I need to pick this lens up. I realized this recently at an event where I needed the range and as the daylight faded, I needed the f2.8 to compensate. (IMHO the f4 would not have worked…I think)

Thanks for your input..

Phil

LPLIV's gear list:LPLIV's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +11 more
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow