ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bharath A
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?
Software binning vs VPS in SD1M
6 months ago

Hello,

I am new to Sigma SD1 and I am trying to see if shooting with LO resolution RAW has any advantage in terms of Noise reduction (mostly chroma noise)

I have tried to capture two images with the same settings at Hi and Low resolutions

Do a software binning on the Hi res image and then compare the image with the Lo res image.

The images have adobe rgb color encoding.

Below is the hi res software binned image

Binned from hi res image (size  = 2352 x 1568)  [iso 800, No noise reduction and default x3f setting in SPP]

And below is the Lo res image after the conversion from SPP,

Low Res image from the camera processed with SPP x3f default settings and no noise reduction (iso 800)

And finally is the image scaled from Hi res image with Lanczos sharp filter.

This is like the first image except that it is scaled down with Lanczos sharp filter

SD1 hi res images have the size 4704 x 3136 pixels. Hence 2x2 binning produces 2352 x 1568 pixels image.

But the SD1 low res image has the size 2336 x 1568 which is a few horizontal pixels less. Does anyone know the reason for this ?

I see that the colors are better in the LO res image compared to the binned or scaled images.

Please have a look at the images and provide your comments.

Regards

Bharath

Bharath A's gear list:Bharath A's gear list
Sigma SD14 Sigma SD1 Merrill
Sigma SD1 Sigma SD1 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow