Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
historianx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,141Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes, you were quite Incorrect
In reply to photoreddi, 5 months ago

photoreddi wrote:

DocetLector wrote:

Sorry, my mistake! At 100% I can see the reflections of a flash in eyes and glasses. But I still don`t understand why the whole picture is so much underexposed. I only can assume a faulty camera or wrong settings.

No, I think that the camera just ran up against its limits. The camera chose 1/250th sec. for the shutter speed and f/18 for the aperture. It couldn't use a wider aperture because that would have called for a faster shutter speed to maintain the same exposure, and it couldn't use a faster shutter speed because when the flash is used, the max. sync speed prevents the shutter speed from going any faster. That's due the the way Fuji's focal plane shutters work.

Fuji's blade shutters (inside the lenses) in the X100, X100s and the electronic shutters in most compact cameras allow much faster shutter speeds, as high as 1/4000 in some cameras and possibly faster. That lets them use much wider apertures, and then the foreground and background gets the same exposure from the ambient light, but the wider aperture more fully utilized the internal flash's light. If f/5.6 could have been used, the flash could have lit up the subjects the same way a monster flash that's about 20 times as powerful would light up the subjects at f/18, if that much light was actually needed.

Yeah Ive used the puny little clip-on Fuji EFX20 on my X100S for overpowering the Sun fashion shots in midday light (usually at 1/1000 sync, iso100, F2 or 2.8) and in this case it's surprisingly powerful.

I also have a Lumix FZ200 bridge cam (mostly for video), and while its high speed electronic shutter will sync to 1/4000 sec it only does when using the onboard flash or Panny/Olympus flashes.  I experimented with it in my studio with an Einstein strobe and a Buff Cybersync transmitter attached, and was limited to 1/125 second max sync speed.  So there are limitations, proprietary ones.

And this thread just goes to show: most problems and issues with Fuji cams on this forum stem from either user error or inexperience.   The higher end X series are NOT good cams for those with little photographic experience.  I have almost 4 decades of photography under my belt, and they still challenge me!

historianx's gear list:historianx's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow