Sony's new curved sensor - this is a big deal

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
Re: so... increase body to decrease lens cost - i.e. peeing against the wind, right?
In reply to akustykmagmanetpl, 6 months ago

TrojMacReady wrote:

2 mounts for still cameras, A and E. How many does Canon have?

This whole concept is for fixed lens cameras, even according to their own propositions.

that isn't so obvious to me.

Canon has technically speaking 3 mounts, but if I'm not mistaken they are all physically (dimensions and electronic contacts layout) the same. what changes is flange (EF-M against the rest) and in case of Canon proprietary EF-S lens - artificial mechanical obstruction - if you take any third party APS-C lens for Canon it fits normal EF camera and works on them (i.e. Tokina 12-24 or Sigma 18-125 to name the lens I tested myself).

Sony as such has 4 different options: FF or APS-C and mirror(ed) or mirrorless. although they are to some degree interchangable

but my point wasn't as much about the total amount but about the fact that Sony had introduced quite a lot of incompatibility issues in a short period. if you make a timeline of Canon's AF system mounts then you get:

EF - 1987

EF-S - 2003

EF-M - 2013

since the takeover of  Konica-Minolta in 2006 Sony has added 3 new mounts. that's 3 in 8 years compared to 3 in 27 years and explains quite well why people are confused with Sony offering and where the "give us another mount, Sony" jokes come from.

Sony has two mounts:
A-mount: The SLR mount
E-mount: The Mirrorless mount

Sensor size has nothing to do with the mount. If Sony wanted, they could introduce an E-mount body with a 1" or m43 size sensor too, and be able to use any of the existing lenses.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow