ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DanPAnnapolis
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
D3 image size confusion
3 months ago

All,

My first post here, and while this one is confusing to me, I am sure one of you will have a perfectly reasonable answer.

I did a camera reset on my D3 and then did a test shooting at S, A & P modes for both Large - Fine JPG and RAW. In the first test I started at P and let the camera pick the exposure. Then I matched exposure (1/800 @ f/6.3) and captured a shutter priority and an A-priority shot. Also, focal length was 95mm on my Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR. All JPG shots came out at around 6.5M and the RAW shots at 12.3M. This is where I would expect them.

Then, I went back and set for A-Priority, which is what I have been shooting with recently and locked in at f/2.8. The 95 mm JPGs are now 5.4M, and more interesting, the full 200mm zoomed shots are at 4.2M. Similarly the RAW images are at 10.6M (95mm) and 9.3M (200mm) respectively.
I would have never thought that if you locked in at f/2.8 and zoomed all the way in that it would change the image size, and that drastically to boot!

4.2M as a starting place is tough for sailing, and swimming (my two key subjects) as there is always (for me) some cropping to level photos to the horizon. I'm thinking that I may need to go with an f/stop north of 4 or 4.5 to level-set. Sort of a bummer for swimming though where f/2.8 is what we need indoors.

Two questions:

- Is there a technical answer for what I am experiencing?  On an FX camera (with the DX crop setting off) as you zoom or stop down is the image saved on a smaller portion of the sensor?  Or is there simply less to save?

- Also, is the solution when shooting A-priority at full zoom simply to back off the f/stop?  Or, am I going to have to shoot RAW all the time.  (disclaimer - no intention here to start a RAW / JPEG thread

Look forward to your thoughts before I go back out there this weekend.

Thanks!

-Dan

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow