Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
quintana
Forum MemberPosts: 77
Like?
Questions about the SD1 autofocus
1 month ago

So I received my SD1 yesterday and really like the body, operation etc.

Two things didn't go well:

1. The 50-150/2.8 OS is decentered. Left side is blurred while the right side is totally fine. I hope the replacement will be better.

2. The 18-35/1.8 seems to be well centered, but I have troubles with the AF as it is irritating me (I don't know if it's a lens or camera problem). I have no problems to achieve 100% accuracy on my Spyder LensCal target (for those who don't know it: http://www.ephotozine.com/articles/spyder-lenscal-15800/images/LensCal_4768.jpg )

But in the field it is different. Sometimes I get only a slight misfocus, sometimes it's blurred a little more. Is there something I have to pay attention to when focussing? Does the AF need REALLY high contrast to work properly? I am used to more precise AF systems from Nikon and Canon.

In addition the AF is awfully slow. When I half-press the shutter button it seems as if the camera takes almost 1 second before the AF even starts to work and then almost another second passes until it is focused and the camera takes a picture when the shutter button is fully pressed. So there is usually a lag between 1 and 2 seconds between pressing the shutter button and the exposure. I am DEFINITELY not used to that from Canon and Nikon. If this is normal behaviour of the camera it is definitely very unuseful for fast moving subjects.

What are your experiences with the AF regarding accuracy and speed? Can I do anything to improve things?

Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow