Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jackson773
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Mystery shutter problem on D600
6 months ago

New to the site.  This is my first post.  I am having a cripping issue with my new D600 (purchased used with a low shutter count) that nobody has yet posted about in these forums or elsewhere.

I have logged about 1,000 photos since I purchased the camera several months ago, bringing the total shutter count up to 3,000 or so.  The other day while shooting, I took a picture that seemed like any other, however on the review screen I noticed that only half the picture had been registered on the sensor (it seems the mirror did not fully flip up on this initial shot).  After that shot I received the dreaded blinking Err message on the display.  I attempted to take another photo--this time the shutter clicked loudly multiple times in quick succession, but nothing was registered.  Removing the lens and firing the shutter again, I received the same result, the mirror was popping up and down quickly, like it wanted to catch in the up position but couldn't.

Not wanting to push my luck by trying again multiple times I set the camera down and inspected it.  Nothing looked broken or out of whack.  I manually flipped the mirror up and back down, it operated smoothly.  I turned the camera back on, and the error message was gone.  I put on a lens, took a shot, and success!  However, after a few more shots the problem returned in the same fashion as the first time.

I plan to send the camera in to Nikon and have it fixed (not under warranty unfortunately) and eat whatever it costs, but I am amazed that I could find no reference to anybody else having this issue.  What's going on?  Another question I have for the wizards on this site is this--the problem occurred 10 or 15 shots after switching to a new lens that I had never used, a factory AI modified Nikkor-N 24mm 2.8 lens from the 70s.  I had done my research and the lens passed the sniff test for use with the D600.  I had heard that any issue from using pre-AI lenses would be to break the aperture lever, however the lever looks fine.  Is there any way the issue could be caused by the vintage lens, or is this just extreme coincidence?

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow