Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
a l b e r t
Senior MemberPosts: 1,283Gear list
Like?
Re: Bragging about our expensive mirrorless/DSLR vs a point and shoot
In reply to mr moonlight, 2 months ago

mr moonlight wrote:

a l b e r t wrote:

Basically, the OP is up against the hw limitation of his camera that lacks HSS flash.

Even if you have a Nikon/Canon DSLR, the result would be the same without a flash that supports HSS.

The best bet is probably a 3-stop ND filter, with +2EV on the exposure compensation dial (assuming he is using matrix metering) and put the camera in DR400. The ND filter is needed to enable the camera to use DR400, as ISO is now 800. Let the camera decide on the aperture and shutter speed.

HSS sync would have helped in getting the OP's first image to work since it would have allowed the camera to sync with the flash. If I remember correctly, the sync speed on the XE1 is 1/180, so at 1/250 his camera never caught the flash even though it did fire.

That being said, his settings were not maxed out, so he could have still nailed the shot without HSS. His settings are 1/250, ISO200, f18, and the image was a little underexposed, so there's some wiggle room there. If he brought his shutter speed down to 1/180, his camera would have caught the flash and his image would have been closer to correct exposure. That may have solved his problem right there. If his flash was still not bright enough, taking a step or two closer to his subjects would likely take care it. If he wanted to keep the same exposure, I think his lens goes to f22.

Actually, he cannot nail the pic without HSS.  I have been into his situation before.  Basically, the built-in flash output is weak compared to the sun, and the aperture at 1/180 or 1/250 is already at f18 or similar.  At that aperture, very little flash illumination gets into the sensor, unless you're very close to the subject.  This of course fails to capture the background scenery.

X-E1 can most of the time sync with 1/200 without bottom shadow.  The officially support x-sync speed is 1/180 and you can't set that on X-E1.  I have used 1/250 and the flash will fire, but the lower 1/3 of the pic is dark, but the upper part is well exposed (assuming you're not against the sun).  So it is not a mater of using 1/180 for the built-in flash in this case, as the flash is simply over powered by the sun.

What I think is that he should maintain a correct exposure for his subject and manipulate the camera into DR400 so that the background exposure can be salvaged.  But in order to get DR400, he needs ISO 800.  And since he is already at f18, he would need very high shutter speed to bring the aperture value down at such high ISO value.

I think this topic could be an interesting challenge for someone to come up with a decent solution with a combination of ND filter, exposure comp, with or without onboard flash.

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D3S Fujifilm X-E1 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow