Ack....thought I understood AF-C vs Dynamic...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AlissaJ
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
Ack....thought I understood AF-C vs Dynamic...
1 month ago

Okay. I honestly thought I understood this but started reading through threads for clarification and just wound up confusing myself.

I primarily shoot birds. I primarily focus on the bird's eye. I have been using AF-C / Dynamic but now I'm not sure if I shouldn't be using AF-S or Single-Point AF

Here is what I (think) I understand:

*Focus Mode: “Continuous-servo AF” (aka AF-C) helps to track movement. I’m telling my camera how I want it to focus: continuously. I set the focus point manually (ideally, the bird's eye). If the shutter is pressed halfway to lock focus, the focus will stay on the bird.

Question: how can my camera be "continuously" focusing if I am locking the focus with the shutter release button?

Question: so then I read that if you only want a single focus point (i.e. the bird's eye) you "must use only single AF (setting with an "S") at AF-C or AF-S, which only has the S setting and automatic."  I'm a bit lost here too...

*AF-Area: I’m telling my camera where I need it to focus—or more accurately, what my subject is doing: it’s moving. Because the camera recognizes that the bird might be hopping around, it will re-focus using several surrounding points if the bird moves.

Is this right? Can anyone provide some clarification?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow