Is the N1 the action/wildlife kit for me?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Arved
Senior MemberPosts: 1,362
Like?
Re: Depends - Auto ISO work-around for 1600
In reply to DaveR43, 3 months ago

DaveR43 wrote:

The only time you need to be careful is if you go into bright sunshine, when the highlights can easily get blown. But when working indoors or in dim conditions outside it works perfectly.

-- hide signature --

DaveR

You might want to try adding active D-lighting to this mix. Two things happen (as I understand it). First, the processing engine changes to increase "development" of the shadows, which of course is ignored by Lightroom. However, the exposure is also reduced slightly to protect highlight detail. That can't be ignored by Lightroom :-). I'm suggesting D-Lighting solely for the fact it tries to protect highlights. I'd say most people who use 3rd party RAW processors ignore D-Lighting because it's ignored by those RAW processors. However, the fact that it does modify exposure to protect highlight detail should be of interest to anyone shooting RAW.

This assumes that N1 D-Lighting acts the same way as introduced on the D300/D700/D3, and my understanding of how D-Lighting works on those cameras is accurate. We all know about assumptions, though, right?

-- hide signature --

- Arved
'Highlights next to shadows to create detail, depth, dimension and added color saturation.' - David Ziser

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow