Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jrkahuna
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?
Mishap
3 months ago

So last night at my boys swim meet which I have been waiting to use my D610 and 70-200, I went to grab my camera bag and it wasn't zipped. My 70-200 went crashing to the ground luckily I had already taken the camera off of it and the camera only fell onto the table.

I bought the lens used on eBay and it came with a Hoya filter attached that I have never removed. It  looked like the front of the glass was cracked so I tried to take the filter off but it won't come off, but the front part of the lens screwed off instead. I have attached some pictures.

It appears it isn't the filter that is cracked

What the lens looks like after I screwed off the top part

Side view of what I unscrewed from the body of the lens.

I went on the Nikon website and before I send this in for repair, I want to make sure I understand how it works. The website says it is $600 to fix the lens (cheaper than buying a new one obviously). But, then it also says that there could be another amount. My question is this. Is the $600 a fixed number or could it be less? Anyone with experience dealing with Nikon for lens repair?

And on another note, I went on Nikon's website to register my D610 and it told me my serial number is not a valid serial number. The serial number starts with 60xxxxx. I bought it on Amazon from an Amazon dealer (maybe my first mistake). I know I can't get it serviced at Nikon USA, but does this mean I didn't get a real Nikon?

I have an email out to the seller.

All in all, not a perfect night, although I did get some great pictures.

Jrkahuna's gear list:Jrkahuna's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow