Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
DimitriDV
Regular MemberPosts: 346
Like?
Re: system Consolidation : Need help with A6000/A7.. decisions decision
In reply to tsk1979, 5 months ago

tsk1979 wrote:

Hi

I am a two camera shooter. I always have two cameras ready.

The reason for this is that one camera is often doing time lapse. And I travel to remote/dusty places and often have different FLs mounted on different cameras, so as not to change lenses.

Now I am in an upgrade soup.

Let me list my equipment, and then you will understand

Sony NEX 5N : 18-55 kit, 18-200 Tamron, Samyang 8mm F2.8 fisheye

Nikon D7000 : Tokina 11-16 F2.8, Nikon 50mm 1.8, Nikon 70-300

What do I need

1. I need a fisheye

2. I need a UWA

3. I need a fast 50-70mm Effective FL lens

4. I need a 300mm Effective FL telephoto(may not be fast)

Now theoretically I can swing to Nikon Camp or Mirrorless Camp. But I often travel international, so size advantage and "Weight" advantage of mirrorless cannot be overlooked.

I know I know NEX+18-200 is not small. Yes, not in pocket small, but much smaller than a DSLR+similar lens and less weight too(hiking FTW)

Besides, it fits in my jacket pocket when visiting cold climates.

So lets swing to mirrorless camp.

Very good, what is the dilemma

The dilemma is lenses

eg 50mm 1.8

Price of Nikon? well about 100-150$. Price for Canon ditto, Price for Sony? 1000$ Whooopiee

LA-EA4 to the rescue? but does sony even make a 50mm 1.8 for the full frame(their DT is for the APS-C only)

I can go to Samyang 35 1.4... But then its manual focus.

On telephoto there is the 55-300 with the LA-EA4 adapter though.

I am told LA-EA4 can work with third party A mounts too.

So my kit will have

A6000 + 16-50+18-200+8mm

A7+14mm Samyang+LA-EA4+50mm 1.4 from sigma + some telephoto atleast as good as Nikon 70-300 IS

What do you guys think

Any other advice

-- hide signature --

Tanveer
My galleries - http://tanveer.smugmug.com,
My photography page on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/TanveersPhotography

Seeying what you already have, and your list of needs, wouldn't it be an option to just get an A6000, a Sony 35mm or 50mm f1.8 in E-mount, and call it a day?

Depending on the conditions of the Nex-5N, that camera can still produce great images, and the lenses would be compatible for both cameras. Just use the Nex for time lapses, and A6000 for the rest for the EVF and fast autofocus. At occurrence (hikes), the A6000+16-50mm pancake could be a very light combination.

For UWA, is the Tamron 18mm end enough? Otherwise you could get the Sony 10-18mm f4 or Samyang 12mm f2 (much faster (-> night sky photos), much cheaper, but manual focus and not stabilized). edit: the 16mm end of the pancake kit lens could also be an option if 16mm is enough, if you are okay with distortion correction and its corner IQ compromises.

For telephoto and fisheye, you would already have the lenses.

-- hide signature --

Some photos taken since I bought my Nex-6&A6000 (few with Nex-7): http://www.flickr.com/photos/dimitriv/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow