The FZ1000 replaces the FZ8, FZ200, FZ70!!!!!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,322Gear list
Like?
yes except size / weight
In reply to Mikedigi, 6 months ago

Hi Mikedigi,

I am a fairly solid long-term Panasonic fan.

Like you I am very impressed by the FZ1000's specs, although of course I shall wait until the camera hits the market, has been out for at least 6 months, reviews have come out, and I have had a chance to play with one in a store (and if I buy it, I'll buy it in the store, too).

Only issue for me, is that my beloved FZ8 (hugely flexible camera, but limited IQ) weighed just 310 grams.  And then my beloved FZ18 weighed just 360 grams and still just fitted in some smaller pockets on my backpack or some large jacket pocket.

But the FZ1000 weighs 830 grams.  That's of course lighter than my DSLR coupled to a long zoom lens for flexibility) which gets to 1500 grams.  But that's also 2.3 times the weight of my beloved FZ18.  Of course the IQ should be massively better - but still.

And the FZ1000 is also between 20pc and 50pc larger depending on which dimension you look at.

So, I'm happy and interested and I might still buy one.  But I might also end up with a Sony RX100 with same size sensor but much more portable, of course at the expense of less zoom.

Mikedigi wrote:

John Miles wrote:

Rodger1943 wrote:

Another question I have been asking myself, is the FZ1000 really a replacement for the FZ200?

"The FZ200 needs its own upgrade, which can happen now that plainly the protection of the 4/3" range has vanished."

That says it all. Panasonic threw their development and promotion into the G Series as if they thought that the 1/2.3" sensor superzooms were a dying breed. They then dumbed down several successive FZs - a good example of this is the pathetic burst mode of the FZ35/FZ38 - so bad that it looks like a deliberate spoiler.

The FZ200 was their U-turn - a decision that the FZ should, once again, be the leader of the pack, not an also-ran. Yes, previous FZs did a job, but the constant f2.8 lens, flash shoe, burst mode and free-flight LCD of the FZ200 - the whole package - showed real commitment to the small superzoom.

Both the FZ200 and the FZ70 will need replacements, but maybe not urgently. The FZ200 is magic for a lot of people, we like it just the way it is. And I have friends who would not think of shelling out the extra £/$ for the FZ200 but who have found great joy in the FZ70 - it is beyond anything they imagined themselves owning. Plus, of course, both cameras are popular with birders.

Personally, I am not about to dump my FZ200, 588 grammes, for any camera weighing 831 grammes like the FZ1000. I am much more likely to stay with the FZ200 and, say in a couple of years, buy a used FZ1000 as cheaply as possible, give it a whirl for a few months, then resell it on Ebay. I have been there several times with good DSLRs, they did not stay long, they were too big, too heavy, and a hassle.

You may laugh at this, but the tiny FZ8 "needs its own upgrade". I would really love an FZ8 upgrade, under 400 grammes, with a 1/2.3" or 1/2.5" sensor, a 25-400mm lens, a combined manual+power zoom, a free-flight LCD and modern JPEG processing, but with RAW too.

That would be a jewel, a classic, a Mini-Cooper S, a Vespa Sport, an iPad Air . . . . . and I would sell something else to pay the price for it.

[ My go-everywhere, shirt pocket mobile/cellphone is an Alcatel 1010, 2G, 59 grammes. I bought a 147-gramme Nokia Lumia 520 Windows 8 smartphone. It mainly sits in the desk drawer. ]

Meanwhile, the FZ1000 is "up there", and magic for Panasonic. It in no way replaces the FZ8, the FZ200 or the FZ70, and I find the suggestion that it replaces them really quite silly.

FZs - Flawed Heroes all, but Heroes nonetheless, never boring, and much loved.

Thank you, Panasonic.

Mike

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow