Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
MisterHairy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,266Gear list
Like?
Re: Nifty Fifty Voigtlander 58mm vs Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art
In reply to coudet, 4 months ago

coudet wrote:

Jzpunltd wrote:

My other choice would be the Sigma 50 1.4 Art but sharpness is not the main objective with my next 50mm mostly bokeh and color rendition as well.

If bokeh is that important, we can rule out ancient design that is the Voigtlander.

I'd go Zeiss 55mm, Nikkor 58mm or the new Sigma 50mm.

I wouldn't be so quick to say such a thing. The Voigt 58/1.4 is an excellent lens with very smooth out-of-focus rendering and very sharp in-focus rendering.

For fans of smooth boke, it is a better choice than the Sigma 50mm Art lens, which has somewhat busy OOF characteristics from the shots that I have seen, and it gives both the Nikkor and the Otus a good run for their money.

It is sharper than the Nikkor at all apertures and in shots where sharpness really counts (when stopped down), it goes toe to toe with the Otus. I own the Voigt 58/1.4 and had the opportunity to compare it against the Otus 55mm when we were sent one as a "teaser" earlier in the year. I posted some comparisons at the time between the Voigt, the Otus and the Sony-Zeiss 55/1.8, all shot and carefully focused on my a7r and it was clear that the humble Voigtlaender lens is not lacking in optical quality.

It is a very nice lens at a very competitive price. It is not as well corrected as the Nikkor and it is not as good a tool for bragging rights as the Otus, but for taking pleasing, warmly toned images with very smooth boke, it is a steal.

You will, however, have to purchase the lens hood separately, and the caps which ship with the lens and the hood (the hood requires a different cap) are both complete rubbish.

MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow