Which is your currency?

Started 6 months ago | Polls thread
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 13,283Gear list
Like?
Good point about the taxes, but...
In reply to Marty4650, 6 months ago

Good point about the taxes/VAT, but most people I know in the US don't pay taxes by ordering online, from places such as B&H, Amazon (who does levy taxes in some places), etc. In the last month I've bought GoPro, a Phantom drone, and the top MacBook Pro, without paying any taxes. People have come to expect no shipping charges as well. I didn't order the computer from Apple because they do charge taxes. Sometimes, when in NY, I will walk into B&H or Adorama and buy something like a Sigma lens, flash, batteries, or whatever when the tax isn't much. Any serious purchase made there I would probably do like others and just have it sent across the Hudson (almost in view of B&H) and save all that money.

There has been an ongoing discussion and movement in Congress and the states to somehow get taxes for online purchases, and Amazon has worked deals in some states because they realize that with their new immediate delivery emphasis, they're going to be having physical presence just about everywhere. But, these moves are being fought by smaller merchants who don't have the staff or the money for expensive software to tell them how much tax is applicable in every little community in the country. It's also been a threat to (larger) eBay sellers, who also don't want the extra burden. One of the recent articles about all of this actually gave the total number of tax districts; I don't remember the number, but it was huge...and it's always changing which means constant updating of software, etc. I remember there was  one place where I lived - don't recall which city - where all the car, boat, RV, etc., dealers were located just outside the city boundaries, because the tax was less. I think that nonsense was finally solved by the state just mandating taxes on cars and some of the other big purchases being the same statewide.

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow