Is the N1 the action/wildlife kit for me?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
DaveR43
Regular MemberPosts: 264Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the N1 the action/wildlife kit for me?
In reply to Tord S Eriksson, 5 months ago

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Agree with Doug on this!

-- hide signature --

tord (at) mindless (dot) com
Mostly Nikon V1, & D600, user

Let's take Dougs' point here:

Doug said: "No, your dynamic range is not any different - the resolution is different, and the added visible noise is because you enlarged the image more. In other words, the same amount of noise is there in both examples - you just blew it up by a bigger factor so it became more visible. But the noise that is there has not actually changed AT ALL. If you kept the ENTIRE image, and blew it up by the same amount, and viewed it from the same distance, the amount of noise would be JUST as visible in both case, but the periphery of the image would be so far into your peripheral vision that you would ignore it. If you then backed up further away to see the whole image, you wouldn't see the noise because you were further away from it, but it would still be there in the exact same amounts."

So you are agreeing that if an image is enlarged, noise will be come more visible - yes?

And you agree that viewing distance is related to size of image - we move further back from a big image, we move closer to a small image - yes?

So if we crop an Fx frame to be the same size as a Cx frame, and then display it at the same size as the image from a Nikon 1 Cx, we have

a) enlarged the Fx image, so noise will be visible - yes?

b) because it is smaller than the whole Fx frame, we will want to look at it from a closer distance, in fact the same distance as we would view the image from a Nikon 1 - yes?

So the 3 stops advantage of the Fx camera will have been reduced.  The question is- by how much?

According to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_factor

"For a given exposure, for example for a fixed focal-plane illuminance and exposure time, larger image sensors capture more photons and hence produce images with less noise and greater dynamic range than smaller sensors. Due to the statistics of photon shot noise, the desirable properties of signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) and sensor unity gain both scale with the square root of pixel area"

If I have understood this correctly, since the pixel area for Cx is 2.7x2.7 smaller than Fx, the signal-to-noise ratio will scale by

Square root of (2.7x.27) = 2.7, i.e. the crop factor...

-- hide signature --

DaveR

DaveR43's gear list:DaveR43's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D70 Nikon D80 Nikon D300S Nikon 1 V1 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow