Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DickyAus
Contributing MemberPosts: 815Gear list
Like?
Long lens for EM-1
4 months ago

The pre release info (for 2015) I've seen for Oly lenses hasn't been too encouraging; the 300mm single focal lenght offering doesn't look suitable for birding (correct me if I'm wrong).

So that leaves the Panny 100-300 and the Oly 75-300 II. I gave both a quick try today. Unfortunately none of the shops I tried had both lens in stock so I couldn't do a direct comparison. The Panny was much heavier and better built compared to the OLY plastic. I don't think the Panny lens IS made any difference, I tried on and off. The Oly often struggled for focus the Panny was instant every time.

These results are in no way a fair comparison, just what I got in quite different conditions.

Panny across the street at about 40m. (faces blurred out)

Crop from RAW of above, no PP.

Oly indoors at about 20m.

Crop from above RAW, no PP.

The OLY had great difficulty focusing on this.

All in all I felt there was little to choose between them apart from build quality and price. In Aus I can get the Panny for A$625 and the OLy for A$399 (after Oly cash back).

I just wonder what other options there are. I really don't want a sack of glass, I am delighted with the 12-40, I'm prepared to wait for a macro lens but really would like a long zoom (that doesn't weigh a ton) for birding in the not too distant future. If any forum members have either of the above lens and can offer advice it would be most welcome.

Dicky.

DickyAus's gear list:DickyAus's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
ANSWER:
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow