Thinking of getting into FX but have a few reservations

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Selander
Junior MemberPosts: 49Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking of getting into FX but have a few reservations
In reply to stromaroma, 6 months ago

stromaroma wrote:

I never thought I'd say this, but I may get into FX.

Good for you!

1) Firstly, I know I can get a used D600 with or without the new shutter for a good price. However, in my experience, sending things in for repairs usually results in a screw up somehow. I'm not impressed with Nikon service. For an extra $400 it might just be worth buying a D610 instead, and then I'd also be able to play with the actual unit in hand to ensure there are no focus or other issues before buying. How long does this D600 shutter replacement go for before it isn't warranted?

No idea, I'm sure a quick google search can give you the answer.

2) Secondly, I see that it has only a 1/4000 sec max shutter speed. I am scratching my head over this. I rarely shoot that high anyways, but maybe with a hummingbird it might come up as an issue. Does anyone else find this low max shutter speed to be a problem?

It can be an issue if you want to shoot at big apertures during daytime. If you love doing that, then it might be easier to invest in a good ND filter.

3) I read that the 35 f/1.8 DX works on FX with minimal vignetting. Is this true? Can vignetting be easily corrected in PP? I guess that's a software-specific question, I use CNX2. I really like that little lens and for DOF blur it's great. I guess I could put it on DX crop mode and still enjoy the DOF advantages of FX versus DX.

The vignetting depends on the aperture used and how closely you focus the lens. At f/8 and infinity, it produces some awful vignetting that could be tough to correct in PP. I would probably suggest investing in an FX prime, such as the 28/1,8G or 35/1,8G.

Selander's gear list:Selander's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow