bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 32,322
Like?
Re: Crop Factor, Low Light and Aperture with m4/3 lenses? Part 2
In reply to Just another Canon shooter, 6 months ago

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

Does anybody have a doubt, that for whatever reason, systems with larger sensors do provide more resolution?

I think that it is easier to get more resolution from a larger sensor so in practice, if not in theory, your observation is correct. One of the other issues is scalability of lenses. lens designs aren't exactly scaleable, because tolerances, surface finish, coatings etc don't scale directly - further there are some technology breaks where different production methods become feasible. For instance, phonecam lenses typically use highly aspheric moulded plastic elements and produce very high absolute resolution but those production techniques would not be feasible for even four thirds size lenses.

I think it is a bit more than scalability (of lenses, not images projected). A scaled down lens will collect less light. You need a lens that "bends" rays more for an equivalent image. Also, you cannot scale down the visible light wavelength, and that becomes a limiting factor for high mp small sensors, with supposedly super-sharp lenses, too.

Yes, sorry - I should have made that clear, scaling preserves the f-number not equivalence.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow