Crop Factor, Low Light and Aperture with m4/3 lenses? Part 2

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Just another Canon shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 3,744Gear list
Like?
Re: Reply to Just another Canon shooter
In reply to knickerhawk, 5 months ago

knickerhawk wrote:

The nature of the noise (the "pattern") is a property of the spatial distribution, which is a completely different property. I was talking exactly about that.

While spatial distribution is a factor to consider when examining noise, it's not the only consideration.

It is, for me, which was the whole point I was trying to make. I was saying that the color pattern looks non Poisson to me.

The std. dev. measurement won't tell you anything about the spatial distribution but it will tell you something useful about the amplitude (not sure if that's the best term to use here), which is just as important.

Not for the point I was trying to make.

Does the crop on the lower right look NR'd to you or no? If it does, this is an indirect confirmation that the St.Dev. is not a good metric of what you see.

To sum up, the std. dev. measurements

Let me repeat that the St.Dev. cannot tell you anything at all about the character of the noise or even if it can be qualified as noise.

and my own two eyes confirm that the character of the noise (the look) is different between these two cameras and the two converters but that's hardly a surprise and certainly not evidence that Adobe is somehow inappropriately tipping the scales in favor of the Oly (and only the Oly) with respect to noise reduction. Your speculation on that point is meritless.

I did not say "inappropriately". And you did not answer the question, which was very simple. Does the lower right square look more NR'd than the rest or no? As simple as that.

By the way, according to DXO, the red channel is the least sensitive for both the 6D and the EM1.

What we see depends on the three RAW channels, on the values of the color matrix, etc. Canon's blue color filters tend to be not so "pure".

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow