Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AdrianAnguiano
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
D5200 35mm 1.8 LiveView AF vs Viewfinder AF
4 months ago

So I got a new D5200 recently, and been using the 18-140 3.5 and its been pretty nice. Very sharp at wide angle and zoom. Focus has been right on.
Well I got a 35mm 1.8 for indoor use. Getting ready to have a kiddo and wanted the fast aperature for the dark hospital room and blurry background when needed. Well I have been using it for about a week, and have been having issues with it focusing correctly anywhere from 1.8 - 4 aperture.
So i tried turning the illuminator off and on. using my speedlight illuminator. taking shots at 1000th a second shutter, using a different cross point instead of center to do my single point focus. all no worko. Finally was doing some shots of my dog and got down on the grass and switched to live view mode, and BOOM. Perfect sharp as ever focus. So I came inside, and setup the tripod in manual and did the exact same shot focusing on the top of the maple birdhouse. Sure enough the Viewfinder focused on the mirror behind (backfocus), and the live view was spot on. It seems that most of the focus issues on the viewfinder were all back focus.

So is this normal when shooting at 1.8-4 with viewfinder? Is this something with just 35mm 1.8 lens, or did i get a wonky one? Is this normal for the D5200? or did i get a wonky D5200? Id really hate to have to use live view for all my shots now, its so much slower, and not normal ergonomics for what im used to.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

F1.8 Viewfinder AF ISO 400 1/30 Shutter On Tripod

F1.8 LiveView AF ISO 400 1/30 Shutter On Tripod

Nikon D5200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow