Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BJBBJB
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
Suggestions for a "step-up" lens from a Nikon 18-105 for a D7100
2 months ago

Greetings. I have gotten some great results with my D90 and the 18-105mm Nikon kit lens (my general all around lens) over the years.  I shoot mostly landscapes and general family event photography.  I also have a Nikon 55-300mm and 35mm Nikon prime that I use for specific needs like wildlife and concert photography respectively.

I have not seen the large increase in quality with the 18-105 in going from the D90 to the D7100 that I had hoped for.  Of course there are more megapixels and larger file sizes, but not as big of a difference in 100% image quality I thought I would see.  I do some large landscape enlargements which is why I wanted the MPs.  I know the D7100 has the focus adjustment but with a kit lens, I believe if you start locking it in at one zoom level, you may have issues elsewhere?

So I am wondering if I should be looking at a step up lens for my most-used 18-105 Nikon to another compact zoom that might be better glass and get more out of the 7100.  And yet, I see they bundle the 18-105 with the D7100.  Hmmm, wonder if a kit bundle would provide a "matched" lens with the 7100?

I am less worried about low light for this lens, I just want SHARP images...or as sharp as can be had in a compact zoom.  Again, variable F-stop is fine given my use of that lens, I need the compact size.

I see new ads from Sigma and Tamaron going back and forth on their latest and greatest.  Would their latest/best compact zoom give me a significant increase in quality?  Which would you recommend for the 7100?  Do most have good luck from a back focus standpoint with these lenses on a Nikon?  And I am correct in being hesitant to even worry about using the back focus adjustment for anything but a prime or a higher-dollar lens?

Thanks again for any help or suggestions.

Thanks,

BJBBJB

Nikon D7100 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow